Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Least of These

I saw him today! On the side of the road going to the mall, there he sat, a smile on his face! I have seen him many times before, different places, different faces! He was a little dirty, maybe hadn't had the luxury of a bath in a while, but still smiling. And I was ashamed! I have, by the grace of God, shelter, as many baths as I would like to take, food, loving family, clothes(clean), and every other personal and financial need you could name. I always have a sad thought but most times, drive on by. What would it cost me to show the love of Christ to a stranger in need? Nothing! I need not judge his circumstance, only to offer a little food and a kind word. Pray for us all to show the love of Christ to the ones who really need it. I recently read about a place called "Grace's Kitchen" that is located in the inner city. They had a wonderful suggestion about how to be prepared at all times to help those who are hungry. Take a large ziplock bag and place a bottle of water, an individually wrapped granola bar, a package of individually wrapped peanut butter crackers, a fruit cup with a pull top and a Bible verse written on a index card. Keep these in your card and keep your eyes open! The Lord will put them and you in the right place, blessings will abound!
Matt. 25:35-40
35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' 40 And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'Christ has commanded us to show mercy to the suffering just as He has shown mercy to us, by His death, so that we may be pardoned through the shedding of His precious blood!Lord, I pray for our eyes to be open to the plight of the hurting souls all around us. Whether their need be food or just a kind word or maybe we need to tell them of the hope we have found in You. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment