Monday, March 21, 2011

The Greatest Lie

This blog post is a based on a sermon from Michael Youssef, Leading the Way.Org
The fall from Grace by Adam and Eve: Gen.3:12-15 The man said, "The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate." Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this that you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." The LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, cursed are you above all livestock and above all beasts of the field; on your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life. I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel."
Now, I am sure we think we are different from Adam and Eve. We would never do what God has warned us not to do. But, God in His wisdom knew better. Even though Adam and Eve were the first humans to disobey God's commands, we are still committing the same sin of rebellion. And that brings us to the greatest lie, Jesus is not the only way to Heaven. This is the ultimate form of rebellion, our disbelief in the Grace of Christ! We have become indifferent toward God. We think Grace is boring. Amazing Grace is not boring! It is all that keeps us from going to Hell! Grace is not free or cheap! Jesus paid the price for Grace by being nailed to the cross! You and I should have been there on that cross because we are guilty! We refuse to see ourselves as fallen creatures rebelling against God. We refuse to believe in the judgement that is coming from God. Our culture teaches us that we can do all things. We view God as a politician whom we put in office and can remove. We think God owes us a favor. God can give and take at anytime with no warning! Romans 9:14-16 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. God is waiting for you! He wants you! He will not hold your past sin over you. This brings to mind two parables in the Bible. The Prodigal Son: Luke 15:11-24 And he said, "There was a man who had two sons.  And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.' And he divided his property between them. Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need.  So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.  "But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants."' And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' But the father said to his servants,'Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet.  And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate.  For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to celebrate.
The Lost Sheep: Luke 15:1-7 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, "This man receives sinners and eats with them." So he told them this parable: "What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.  And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
Adam attempted to blame God for his sin: Gen.3:12 The woman You gave to be with me, she gave me the fruit of the tree and I ate. Eve just as good as said the devil made me do it! Neither one takes responsibility for their sin and asks for forgiveness. Take responsibility for your sin. God wants us to confess sin and to repent. Cry out to God that you are spiritually lost and in need of a Savior. His word will change the worst offender. Father God, I pray this for us. Forgive us. Let Your word cleanse our heart. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment