Sunday, March 6, 2011

In the Midst of Afflictions

Ps.119:50 50 This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.
We all suffer in many different ways, some physical, some emotional. God is there for you no matter what the affliction may be. No ones suffering is more dramatic than Jesus, innocent of all sin, yet taking our burden of sin, and dying on a cross so that we may ask God for forgiveness. He was not forced, he willingly did this to satisfy God's wrath toward us. Colossians 2:13-14 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.
Can you grasp this? It hurts my soul to think of it but I am so grateful that He was obedient to His Father and that we received His special gift of salvation. Acts 4:12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."
Don't go thinking you can repay Him, because what would you give for payment? You can not earn it, it was given, by blood sacrifice, to us, for our repentance from sin and obedience to His commands. Eph.2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
This is a daunting task, for we are prone to sin and disobedience. But, God is ever faithful and just to forgive us.
1 John 1:9-10 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
I know this is hard to understand but God uses affliction to promote His glory, teach His will, exhibit His power and faithfulness, keep our mind on Him, lead us to pray to Him, conviction of sin toward Him, test our sincerity, try our faith and obedience, humble us, purify us, teach patience, to furthur the gospel and to show God exemplified.
Promote His glory: John 9:1-3 As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" Jesus answered, "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.
Teach His will: Ps.119:71 It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.
Exibit His power and faithfulness: Ps.34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all. 2 Cor.4:8-11 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. 2 Cor.12:9-10 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Mind on Him: Is.26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
Pray to Him: Job 5:8 As for me, I would seek God, and to God would I commit my cause 1John 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.
Conviction of sin: Ps.119:67-68 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word. You are good and do good; teach me your statutes.
Our sincerity: Ps.66:8-10 Bless our God, O peoples; let the sound of his praise be heard, who has kept our soul among the living and has not let our feet slip. For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried.
Our faith tested:  1 Peter 1:17 so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ
Humility: 2 Cor.12:7-9 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations,a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Purity: Matt.5:8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Psalm 51:9-11 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Patience: James1: 2-3 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.
Further the gospel: 2 Tim.4:16-17 At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth.
2 Tim.2:8-10 Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, the offspring of David, as preached in my gospel, for which I am suffering, bound with chains as a criminal. But the word of God is not bound! Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. God exemplified: Philippians 2:5-8 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant,being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Romans 9:14-16 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."  So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. This is my prayer for us all, to know God because He is good!! Our time here on Earth is short, but eternity is forever. Dwell on God's word for it has the key to everlasting life. Father, I cry to You for the ones who will read these words of life. Have mercy on us and keep us in Your care. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment