Sunday, March 17, 2019

Grace


1 And Saul spoke to Jonathan his son and to all his servants, that they should kill David. But Jonathan, Saul's son, delighted much in David.
2 And Jonathan told David, "Saul my father seeks to kill you. Therefore be on your guard in the morning. Stay in a secret place and hide yourself. - 1 Samuel 19:1-2

17 He said to David, "You are more righteous than I, for you have repaid me good, whereas I have repaid you evil.
18 And you have declared this day how you have dealt well with me, in that you did not kill me when the LORD put me into your hands.
19 For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him go away safe? So may the LORD reward you with good for what you have done to me this day.
20 And now, behold, I know that you shall surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in your hand.
21 Swear to me therefore by the LORD that you will not cut off my offspring after me, and that you will not destroy my name out of my father's house."
22 And David swore this to Saul. Then Saul went home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold. - 1 Samuel 24:17-22

Four lessons concerning the grace of God:

1. The grace of God is looking for someone.

1 And David said, "Is there still anyone left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan's sake?"
2 Now there was a servant of the house of Saul whose name was Ziba, and they called him to David. And the king said to him, "Are you Ziba?" And he said, "I am your servant."
3 And the king said, "Is there not still someone of the house of Saul, that I may show the kindness of God to him?" Ziba said to the king, "There is still a son of Jonathan; he is crippled in his feet." - 2 Samuel 9:1-3

If the Son sets you free you are free indeed!

Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, - Romans 5:20

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. - 2 Peter 3:9

2. The grace of God is not intimidated by your problems.

But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.  - Isaiah 43:1

Jonathan, the son of Saul, had a son who was crippled in his feet. He was five years old when the news about Saul and Jonathan came from Jezreel, and his nurse took him up and fled, and as she fled in her haste, he fell and became lame. And his name was Mephibosheth. - 2 Samuel 4:4

And the king said, "Is there not still someone of the house of Saul, that I may show the kindness of God to him?" Ziba said to the king, "There is still a son of Jonathan; he is crippled in his feet." - 2 Samuel 9:3

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? - Romans 8:31

To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. - Colossians 1:27

3. The grace of God takes you to another level.

4 The king said to him, "Where is he?" And Ziba said to the king, "He is in the house of Machir the son of Ammiel, at Lo-debar."
5 Then King David sent and brought him from the house of Machir the son of Ammiel, at Lo-debar.
6 And Mephibosheth the son of Jonathan, son of Saul, came to David and fell on his face and paid homage. And David said, "Mephibosheth!" And he answered, "Behold, I am your servant." - 2 Samuel 9:4-6

Lo-debar is a barren land.
Mephibosheth is a nobody living in a barren land.
The king's grandson is leading a lowly life.
God had another plan for him.

25 The woman said to him, "I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things."
26 Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you am he."
27 Just then his disciples came back. They marveled that he was talking with a woman, but no one said, "What do you seek?" or, "Why are you talking with her?"
28 So the woman left her water jar and went away into town and said to the people,
29 "Come, see a man who told me all that I ever did. Can this be the Christ?" - John 4:25-29

God had another plan for this woman.

4. The grace of God gives you a seat at His table.

You don't deserve it!

7 And David said to him, "Do not fear, for I will show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan, and I will restore to you all the land of Saul your father, and you shall eat at my table always."
8 And he paid homage and said, "What is your servant, that you should show regard for a dead dog such as I?"
9 Then the king called Ziba, Saul's servant, and said to him, "All that belonged to Saul and to all his house I have given to your master's grandson.
10 And you and your sons and your servants shall till the land for him and shall bring in the produce, that your master's grandson may have bread to eat. But Mephibosheth your master's grandson shall always eat at my table." Now Ziba had fifteen sons and twenty servants.
11 Then Ziba said to the king, "According to all that my lord the king commands his servant, so will your servant do." So Mephibosheth ate at David's table, like one of the king's sons.
12 And Mephibosheth had a young son, whose name was Mica. And all who lived in Ziba's house became Mephibosheth's servants.
13 So Mephibosheth lived in Jerusalem, for he ate always at the king's table. Now he was lame in both his feet. - 2 Samuel 9:7-13

God's plan not mans.

Are you crippled in body or spirit before the Lord?

Whether it's physical or mental, Christ is able!

 1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. 
3 He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.  - Psalms 23

This is grace!


Thanks Pastor Kevin!





No comments:

Post a Comment