Monday, May 3, 2021

Vows Promises Consequences


I was having a conversation this morning with my husband whose bible reading was on a part of Judges 11. It was about a righteous man who feared the Lord and made a vow to sacrifice to honor God.

Animal sacrifice, in the Old Testament, was one of the acceptable forms of honoring God and making an atonement for sin. 


In this contemplation of Jephthah's vow, made without thinking of consequence. He was horrified knowing he had no choice but to fulfill his vow even though it was his only daughter who walked through the door.  The only thing His daughter requested was time with her friends to mourn. She told him he must honor his vow to the Lord. There is no clear answer as to whether he actually followed through, though the verses lean toward he did indeed sacrifice her. Many biblical scholars think he did not do this wicked thing but instead deemed her a virgin who never married and never had children.


It's clear God hated human sacrifice and told us several times in the Old Testament. Which brings us to the New Testament and the most well known sacrifice known to Christians. However, it's not a forced human sacrifice but a willing Lamb Who went to His death to save sinners. Why? Obedience to His Father God.

There was no one who could cover our sin debt to God except Christ alone.

Christ has a heart for the lost!


Judges 11:26-40


[26] While Israel lived in Heshbon and its villages, and in Aroer and its villages, and in all the cities that are on the banks of the Arnon, 300 years, why did you not deliver them within that time? [27] I therefore have not sinned against you, and you do me wrong by making war on me. The LORD, the Judge, decide this day between the people of Israel and the people of Ammon.” [28] But the king of the Ammonites did not listen to the words of Jephthah that he sent to him.


[29] Then the Spirit of the LORD was upon Jephthah, and he passed through Gilead and Manasseh and passed on to Mizpah of Gilead, and from Mizpah of Gilead he passed on to the Ammonites. [30] And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD and said, “If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, [31] then whatever comes out from the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the Ammonites shall be the LORD’s, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.” [32] So Jephthah crossed over to the Ammonites to fight against them, and the LORD gave them into his hand. [33] And he struck them from Aroer to the neighborhood of Minnith, twenty cities, and as far as Abel-keramim, with a great blow. So the Ammonites were subdued before the people of Israel.


[34] Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah. And behold, his daughter came out to meet him with tambourines and with dances. She was his only child; besides her he had neither son nor daughter. [35] And as soon as he saw her, he tore his clothes and said, “Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low, and you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the LORD, and I cannot take back my vow.” [36] And she said to him, “My father, you have opened your mouth to the LORD; do to me according to what has gone out of your mouth, now that the LORD has avenged you on your enemies, on the Ammonites.” [37] So she said to her father, “Let this thing be done for me: leave me alone two months, that I may go up and down on the mountains and weep for my virginity, I and my companions.” [38] So he said, “Go.” Then he sent her away for two months, and she departed, she and her companions, and wept for her virginity on the mountains. [39] And at the end of two months, she returned to her father, who did with her according to his vow that he had made. She had never known a man, and it became a custom in Israel [40] that the daughters of Israel went year by year to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in the year.


Deuteronomy 12:30-31


[30] take care that you be not ensnared to follow them, after they have been destroyed before you, and that you do not inquire about their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods?—that I also may do the same.’ [31] You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the LORD hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods.


Deuteronomy 18:9-12


[9] “When you come into the land that the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations. [10] There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer [11] or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, [12] for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD. And because of these abominations the LORD your God is driving them out before you.


1 Peter 1:19-21


[19] but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. [20] He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you [21] who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.


John 1:34-36


[34] And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.”

[35] The next day again John was standing with two of his disciples, [36] and he looked at Jesus as he walked by and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!”


John 10:17-18


[17] For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. [18] No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”


Eternal life is a gift.

You can't earn it.

You can't buy it.

Christ alone can give this gift.

Repent before the Lord and receive salvation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment