Sunday, June 26, 2022

Bible Study

Psalm 139

Search Me, O God, and Know My Heart

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David.

    [1] O LORD, you have searched me and known me! 
    [2] You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
        you discern my thoughts from afar. 
    [3] You search out my path and my lying down
        and are acquainted with all my ways. 
    [4] Even before a word is on my tongue,
        behold, O LORD, you know it altogether. 
    [5] You hem me in, behind and before,
        and lay your hand upon me. 
    [6] Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
        it is high; I cannot attain it.

    [7] Where shall I go from your Spirit?
        Or where shall I flee from your presence? 
    [8] If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
        If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! 
    [9] If I take the wings of the morning
        and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, 
    [10] even there your hand shall lead me,
        and your right hand shall hold me. 
    [11] If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
        and the light about me be night,” 
    [12] even the darkness is not dark to you;
        the night is bright as the day,
        for darkness is as light with you.

    [13] For you formed my inward parts;
        you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. 
    [14] I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
    Wonderful are your works;
        my soul knows it very well. 
    [15] My frame was not hidden from you,
    when I was being made in secret,
        intricately woven in the depths of the earth. 
    [16] Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
    in your book were written, every one of them,
        the days that were formed for me,
        when as yet there was none of them.

    [17] How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
        How vast is the sum of them! 
    [18] If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
        I awake, and I am still with you.

    [19] Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!
        O men of blood, depart from me! 
    [20] They speak against you with malicious intent;
        your enemies take your name in vain. 
    [21] Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD?
        And do I not loathe those who rise up against you? 
    [22] I hate them with complete hatred;
        I count them my enemies.

    [23] Search me, O God, and know my heart!
        Try me and know my thoughts! 
    [24] And see if there be any grievous way in me,
        and lead me in the way everlasting!

Psalm 51

Create in Me a Clean Heart, O God

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.

    [1] Have mercy on me, O God,
        according to your steadfast love;
    according to your abundant mercy
        blot out my transgressions. 
    [2] Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
        and cleanse me from my sin!

    [3] For I know my transgressions,
        and my sin is ever before me. 
    [4] Against you, you only, have I sinned
        and done what is evil in your sight,
    so that you may be justified in your words
        and blameless in your judgment. 
    [5] Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
        and in sin did my mother conceive me. 
    [6] Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
        and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

    [7] Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
        wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 
    [8] Let me hear joy and gladness;
        let the bones that you have broken rejoice. 
    [9] Hide your face from my sins,
        and blot out all my iniquities. 
    [10] Create in me a clean heart, O God,
        and renew a right spirit within me. 
    [11] Cast me not away from your presence,
        and take not your Holy Spirit from me. 
    [12] Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
        and uphold me with a willing spirit.

    [13] Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
        and sinners will return to you. 
    [14] Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God,
        O God of my salvation,
        and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness. 
    [15] O Lord, open my lips,
        and my mouth will declare your praise. 
    [16] For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
        you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. 
    [17] The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
        a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

    [18] Do good to Zion in your good pleasure;
        build up the walls of Jerusalem; 
    [19] then will you delight in right sacrifices,
        in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings;
        then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Jeremiah 1:4-5

The Call of Jeremiah

[4] Now the word of the LORD came to me, saying,

    [5] “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
    and before you were born I consecrated you;
    I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Isaiah 49:1-5

The Servant of the LORD

    [1] Listen to me, O coastlands,
        and give attention, you peoples from afar.
    The LORD called me from the womb,
        from the body of my mother he named my name. 
    [2] He made my mouth like a sharp sword;
        in the shadow of his hand he hid me;
    he made me a polished arrow;
        in his quiver he hid me away. 
    [3] And he said to me, “You are my servant,
        Israel, in whom I will be glorified.” 
    [4] But I said, “I have labored in vain;
        I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity;
    yet surely my right is with the LORD,
        and my recompense with my God.”

    [5] And now the LORD says,
        he who formed me from the womb to be his servant,
    to bring Jacob back to him;
        and that Israel might be gathered to him—
    for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD,
        and my God has become my strength—

No comments:

Post a Comment