Sunday, July 31, 2016

Run

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. - Hebrews 12:1-2

The New Testament authors portray the Christian life as a race - not a sprint but a marathon.
We run the race through a grace-empowered pursuit of repentance and faith.

Repentance: "Let us run... laying aside every weight and sin". (vs. 1)
Can I identify consistent areas of temptation and struggle? 
Am I fighting against sin on a daily basis?
Are there weights which need to be laid aside-things that may not be sinful in themselves-that are keeping me from a fuller enjoyment of God?
Am I humble enough to invite others to help me cultivate a life of repentance?

Faith: "Let us run...looking to Jesus. (v.2-3)
Is my Christian faith fixated on my failures or successes?
Do I tend to live by a list of do's and don'ts?
Do I find it difficult to respect Christians or churches who don't see things as I see them?
Am I taking ten looks at Christ for every one look at self?


Thanks Pastor Matt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment