Sunday, August 13, 2017

My Plans My Desires My Goals


The story of Balaam teaches us to put God's plans, desires and goals above our own.

Actively listen to God.
There is a difference between hearing and actually listening to God.

8 And he said to them, "Lodge here tonight, and I will bring back word to you, as the LORD speaks to me." So the princes of Moab stayed with Balaam.
9 And God came to Balaam and said, "Who are these men with you?"
10 And Balaam said to God, "Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, has sent to me, saying,
11 'Behold, a people has come out of Egypt, and it covers the face of the earth. Now come, curse them for me. Perhaps I shall be able to fight against them and drive them out.'"
12 God said to Balaam, "You shall not go with them. You shall not curse the people, for they are blessed." - Numbers 22:8-12

Examine my ways.

Thoughts influence my talk.
My talk effects my walk with God.
You have already made your mind up to do something and God says no.
Ask yourself why you want it!
For God's glory or yours?
A strong why makes you grounded!
What is your price?
God knows your heart!

13 So Balaam rose in the morning and said to the princes of Balak, "Go to your own land, for the LORD has refused to let me go with you."
14 So the princes of Moab rose and went to Balak and said, "Balaam refuses to come with us." - Numbers 22:13-14

15 Once again Balak sent princes, more in number and more honorable than these.
16 And they came to Balaam and said to him, "Thus says Balak the son of Zippor: 'Let nothing hinder you from coming to me,
17 for I will surely do you great honor, and whatever you say to me I will do. Come, curse this people for me.'" - Numbers 22:15-17

But Balaam answered and said to the servants of Balak, "Though Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not go beyond the command of the LORD my God to do less or more. - Numbers 22:18

Trust God's ways.

Do you keep going back to see if God has changed His mind?
Obey His will!
Seek His will!
Don't put a coma where God has put a period.

19 So you, too, please stay here tonight, that I may know what more the LORD will say to me."
20 And God came to Balaam at night and said to him, "If the men have come to call you, rise, go with them; but only do what I tell you."
21 So Balaam rose in the morning and saddled his donkey and went with the princes of Moab. - Numbers 22:19-21

Use spiritual discernment.

Don't have a rebellious state of mind.
Notice the unusual things.
God will give you a word!

And the donkey saw the angel of the LORD standing in the road, with a drawn sword in his hand. And the donkey turned aside out of the road and went into the field. And Balaam struck the donkey, to turn her into the road. - Numbers 22:23

And when the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she pushed against the wall and pressed Balaam's foot against the wall. So he struck her again. - Numbers 22:25

When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam. And Balaam's anger was kindled, and he struck the donkey with his staff. - Numbers 22:27

Be willing to admit my wrongs.

Repent!
God I have messed up!
God I ignored You!
Seek God first!!

Then Balaam said to the angel of the LORD, "I have sinned, for I did not know that you stood in the road against me. Now therefore, if it is evil in your sight, I will turn back." - Numbers 22:34

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. - Matthew 6:33

We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man. There is nothing progressive about being pig-headed and refusing to admit a mistake.  C.S. Lewis

Have you missed God's warning signs?
Are you on the wrong road?


Thanks Pastor Draper!!

No comments:

Post a Comment