Friday, August 25, 2017

Names Of God


Abba Father
Our father, our daddy, warm affectionate names, names that endearing, respectful and intimate, names used when you are related.

And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" - Galatians 4:6

And he said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will." - Mark 14:36

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!" - Romans 8:15

Alpha and Omega
These are the first and last letters in the Greek alphabet. 
It also is how God refers to himself.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." - Revelation 1:8

And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. - Revelation 21:6

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." - Revelation 22:13

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. - John 1:1-3

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. - John 1:14

Attitq Youm
The Ancient of Days
Only God is the all knowing Ancient of Days.
There is nothing He does not know, past, present or future.

9 remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, 
10 declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,'  - Isaiah 46:9-10

"As I looked, thrones were placed, and the Ancient of Days took his seat; his clothing was white as snow, and the hair of his head like pure wool; his throne was fiery flames; its wheels were burning fire.  - Daniel 7:9

13 "I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him. 
14 And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.  - Daniel 7:13-14

Christos The Anointed One
Jesus Christ-Fully man, fully God 

By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, - 1 John 4:2

El Chuwl
The God who gave you birth.
God made you for His purpose and He will not leave you.
Sin marred His creation but God who is rich in mercy didn't leave us.

1 But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. 
2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. 
3 For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in exchange for you.  - Isaiah 43:1-3

13 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. 
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. 
15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. 
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. 
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! 
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you.  - Psalm 139:13-18

El Deah
God of knowledge.
God is all knowledge.
God is omniscient.

"For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?"  - Romans 11:34

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart." 
20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,
23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles,
24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.
27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong;
28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,
29 so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.
30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 1:18-31

El Elyon
The God Most High
Above all, strongest of the strong and highest of the high

16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-all things were created through him and for him.
17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. - Colossians 1:16-17

El Olam
The everlasting God
God never changes!

1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations. 
2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.  - Psalm 90:1-2

For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night.  - Psalm 90:4

But of the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.  - Hebrews 1:8

El Roi
The God who sees!

So she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, "You are a God of seeing," for she said, "Truly here I have seen him who looks after me." - Genesis 16:13

El Shaddai
God Almighty 
This promise has changed the world.

1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless,
2 that I may make my covenant between me and you, and may multiply you greatly." - Genesis 17:1-2

Elohim
The Creator
Strength and unlimited power, one who keeps promises

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. - Genesis 1:1

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.  - Isaiah 40:28

Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker!  - Psalm 95:6

Yahweh
Jehovah 
The self-existent One

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" - Exodus 3:14

Yahweh Bore
The Lord Creator

By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host.  - Psalm 33:6

28 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. 
29 He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. 
30 Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; 
31 but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.  - Isaiah 40:28-31

Yahweh Nissi
The Lord my banner.
To be raised 
Victory in all things is the Lords!

And Moses built an altar and called the name of it, The LORD Is My Banner, - Exodus 17:15

Yahweh Raah
The Lord My Shepherd

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. 
3 He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.  - Psalms 23

Yahweh Rapha
The Lord that healeth
Miraculous healing
Wisdom of God given to man with which he made medicine 

And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every affliction. - Matthew 10:1

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14

Yahweh Shalom
The Lord is peace
God's grace of peace

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all. - 2 Thessalonians 3:16

In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.  - Psalm 4:8

Yahweh Shammah
The Lord is there
God is a circle whose center is everywhere.

Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?  - Psalm 139:7

23 "Am I a God at hand, declares the LORD, and not a God far away?
24 Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the LORD. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the LORD. - Jeremiah 23:23-24

Yahweh Tsabbaoth
The Lord of host
Lord Almighty 
Sovereign God of the universe 

And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!"  - Isaiah 6:3

"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." - Revelation 1:8

Yahweh Tsidkenu
The Lord of our righteousness 
Our righteousness comes from God alone.

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. - Hebrews 12:14

For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. - 2 Corinthians 5:21

and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith- - Philippians 3:9

Yahweh Yireh
The Lord will provide

11 But the angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."
12 He said, "Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me."
13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son.
14 So Abraham called the name of that place, "The LORD will provide"; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided." - Genesis 22:11-14

Thanks Pastor Rogers!!!
































No comments:

Post a Comment