Friday, January 19, 2018

Old Testament Sheol


What is this place mentioned numerous times in the Bible?
It is the place of the dead.

3 For my soul is full of troubles, and my life draws near to Sheol. 
4 I am counted among those who go down to the pit; I am a man who has no strength, 
5 like one set loose among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, like those whom you remember no more, for they are cut off from your hand. 
6 You have put me in the depths of the pit, in the regions dark and deep.  - Psalm 88:3-6

For in death there is no remembrance of you; in Sheol who will give you praise?  - Psalm 6:5

17 Behold, it was for my welfare that I had great bitterness; but in love you have delivered my life from the pit of destruction, for you have cast all my sins behind your back. 
18 For Sheol does not thank you; death does not praise you; those who go down to the pit do not hope for your faithfulness. 
19 The living, the living, he thanks you, as I do this day; the father makes known to the children your faithfulness.  - Isaiah 38:17-19

11 Their graves are their homes forever, their dwelling places to all generations, though they called lands by their own names. 
12 Man in his pomp will not remain; he is like the beasts that perish. 
13 This is the path of those who have foolish confidence; yet after them people approve of their boasts. Selah 
14 Like sheep they are appointed for Sheol; death shall be their shepherd, and the upright shall rule over them in the morning. Their form shall be consumed in Sheol, with no place to dwell.  - Psalm 49:11-14

7 Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? 
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!  - Psalm 139:7-8

We have hope in God's Son Christ!

But God will ransom my soul from the power of Sheol, for he will receive me. Selah  - Psalm 49:15

8 He will swallow up death forever; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces, and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth, for the LORD has spoken. 
9 It will be said on that day, "Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is the LORD; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation."  - Isaiah 25:8-9

having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there will be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust. - Acts 24:15

17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last,
18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades. - Revelation 1:17-18

There is a judgment!

25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. 
26 And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, 
27 whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me! 
28 If you say, 'How we will pursue him!' and, 'The root of the matter is found in him,' 
29 be afraid of the sword, for wrath brings the punishment of the sword, that you may know there is a judgment."  - Job 19:25-29

1 "At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book.
2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
3 And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. - Daniel 12:1-3

10 The righteous will rejoice when he sees the vengeance; he will bathe his feet in the blood of the wicked. 
11 Mankind will say, "Surely there is a reward for the righteous; surely there is a God who judges on earth."  - Psalm 58:10-11

4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
5 Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said, "Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired, but a body have you prepared for me; 
6 in burnt offerings and sin offerings you have taken no pleasure. 
7 Then I said, 'Behold, I have come to do your will, O God, as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.'" 
8 When he said above, "You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings" (these are offered according to the law),
9 then he added, "Behold, I have come to do your will." He does away with the first in order to establish the second.
10 And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. - Hebrews 10:4-10

New Testament Heaven and Hell

God's revelation is progressive.
Through His divine revelation, His inspired word reveals His plan of salvation through Christ alone. 
You are a sinner in need of a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
There are no works, deeds, or monetary payments to satisfy God's requirements, only the blood of His sinless Son!





No comments:

Post a Comment