Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Why I Believe


A passionate renewal of belief in God!

Time 59 AD

Paul gets on a ship along with other prisoners.

20 When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days, and no small tempest lay on us, all hope of our being saved was at last abandoned.
21 Since they had been without food for a long time, Paul stood up among them and said, "Men, you should have listened to me and not have set sail from Crete and incurred this injury and loss.
22 Yet now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship.
23 For this very night there stood before me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship,
24 and he said, 'Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar. And behold, God has granted you all those who sail with you.'
25 So take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told. - Acts 27:20-25

Paul's situation is dire.
Storm, wind, crashing seas, dark, creaking boards in the ship's hull

We also live with darkness all around.
Storms of life hit us from every side.
Wickedness abounds.

32 Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me.
33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." - John 16:32-33

Sin brings suffering in this life.
We see disasters.
We see injustice.
We are hurting.
We see sin being lived out in people's lives.
There are those who are going down into darkness.

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.
11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.
12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.
16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one;
17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,
18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, - Ephesians 6:10-19

Is there any hope?
The world is looking for hope!
Will you tell of the hope that is Christ?
We have a Deliverer Who is able!!
Do you believe He alone is able?

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. - John 10:10

To the unbeliever our message may sound foolish.
A virgin had a baby by a ghost.
Her husband never did anything wrong.
Jesus made wine out of water.
Jesus walked on water.
Jesus told the storm winds to cease and they did.
Jesus turned a few fish and loaves into enough food to feed thousands.
What did the world do to this Savior?
They killed Him!
But the grave couldn't hold Him!
He is risen!
He ascended into the heavens!
He is coming again to receive His own! 
This is real!
By faith we believe!

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, - Ephesians 2:8

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. - 1 Corinthians 1:18

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

Is God believable?
Look back on God's promises!
Did He deliver?
What God declares, He delivers!

No loss of life, only the ship was destroyed.

and the rest on planks or on pieces of the ship. And so it was that all were brought safely to land. - Acts 27:44

The following night the Lord stood by him and said, "Take courage, for as you have testified to the facts about me in Jerusalem, so you must testify also in Rome." - Acts 23:11

30 He lived there two whole years at his own expense, and welcomed all who came to him,
31 proclaiming the kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness and without hindrance. - Acts 28:30-31

Old Testament fulfilled in New Testament 

But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose coming forth is from of old, from ancient days.  - Micah 5:2

4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the town of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David,
5 to be registered with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child.
6 And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. - Luke 2:4-6

For without cause they hid their net for me; without cause they dug a pit for my life.  - Psalm 35:7

"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. - John 15:18

Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.  - Psalm 41:9

During supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him, - John 13:2

11 So it was annulled on that day, and the sheep traders, who were watching me, knew that it was the word of the LORD.
12 Then I said to them, "If it seems good to you, give me my wages; but if not, keep them." And they weighed out as my wages thirty pieces of silver. - Zechariah 11:11-12

8 Therefore that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day.
9 Then was fulfilled what had been spoken by the prophet Jeremiah, saying, "And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him on whom a price had been set by some of the sons of Israel, - Matthew 27:8-9

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth.  - Isaiah 53:7

But Jesus remained silent. And the high priest said to him, "I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God." - Matthew 26:63

I gave my back to those who strike, and my cheeks to those who pull out the beard; I hid not my face from disgrace and spitting.  - Isaiah 50:6

67 Then they spit in his face and struck him. And some slapped him,
68 saying, "Prophesy to us, you Christ! Who is it that struck you?" - Matthew 26:67-68

For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet-  - Psalm 22:16

And they crucified him and divided his garments among them, casting lots for them, to decide what each should take. - Mark 15:24

so they said to one another, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it to see whose it shall be." This was to fulfill the Scripture which says, "They divided my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots." So the soldiers did these things,  - John 19:24

So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first, and of the other who had been crucified with him. - John 19:32

But when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. - John 19:33

And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth.  - Isaiah 53:9

57 When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who also was a disciple of Jesus.
58 He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate ordered it to be given to him.
59 And Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen shroud
60 and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had cut in the rock. And he rolled a great stone to the entrance of the tomb and went away. - Matthew 27:57-60

10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. 
11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.  - Psalm 16:10-11

5 And as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee,
7 that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and on the third day rise." - Luke 24:5-7

All these things that were said, were fulfilled!

But Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." - Matthew 19:26

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. - Matthew 24:35

That's why I believe!!
God always keeps His word!

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. - John 14:6

And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. - Revelation 20:15

Repent and believe!
Your eternity is real.
There is only heaven or hell!
Listen before it is too late!!
Christ offers relief!
Salvation is offered through Christ!

Thank you Pastor Nolan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment