Sunday, April 1, 2012

More Than A Prophet

The central idea of the word prophet is, one to whom God reveals himself and through whom he speaks.
John the baptist, sent by God, to prepare the way for the coming of Christ was called more "than a prophet". John preached repentance and reformation of heart and life. Christ is so much more because He lives through us! We have direct access to Christ! We have His written word! It is food for our souls! We must tell the world!!
Eph.2:20-22 

20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone
21 in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. 
22 In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.


1 Peter 1:3-5,19-25 
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead
4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 
5 who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot
20 He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you 
21 who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God
22 Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, 
23 since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; 
24 for "All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, 
25 but the word of the Lord remains forever."And this word is the good news that was preached to you. 

Christ foretold:
Deut.18:18  
18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers. And I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him.

Anointed with the Holy Spirit:
Luke 4:18
18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed

Christ alone knows and reveals God:
Heb.1:1-6
1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs. 5 For to which of the angels did God ever say, "You are my Son, today I have begotten you"?Or again, "I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son"? 6 And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him."
Same as the Father:John 12:44-50 44 And Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45 And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. 47 If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. 48 The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day. 49 For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment--what to say and what to speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me."
Salvation in Christ alone:Heb.2:3-4 3 how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard, 4 while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his willActs 4:11-1211 This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. 12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." 


Lord, You took our wrath due us. There is no payment we can give! We can never forget the terrible price of sin! We can never forget the cost to You! We must always remember that sin separates us from You. We must cling to the wonder of the cross! Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment