Monday, April 30, 2012

His Pursuit Of You

How do you become a Christian? To be a citizen of the kingdom, you must be a child of the King. Conversion consists of turning from yourself and trusting in the Father. Be humble before the Lord.


Matt.18:3-4

3 and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 
4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Jesus calls His disciples to humility of heart, not childishness of thought.

Loving the Church...
We protect one another from sin.
We are selflessly concerned about each others holiness.
We are radically committed to our own holiness.
We love one another. In light of the Father's angelic provision of His children. In light of the Father's individual pursuit of His children.


Ps.91:11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.


Ps.91:14-16 

14 "Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. 
15 When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. 
16 With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation."

Dan.6:22 My God sent his angel and shut the lions' mouths, and they have not harmed me, because I was found blameless before him; and also before you, O king, I have done no harm."

We restore one another.
The process of church discipline and restoration...
Step 1 Private correction
Step 2 Small group clarification
Step 3 Church admonition
Step 4 Church excommunication


Matt.18:15-16 
15 "If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 
16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses.

God's promises a midst church discipline and restoration...
He has given us His authority
He has granted us His support.
He has guaranteed us His presence.


Matt.18:18-20 
18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 
19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 
20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." 

We forgive one another.
In Christ, we have received extravagant grace.
As Christians, we now extend extravagant grace.


Matt.18:21-22,33,35 
21 Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" 
22 Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.
33 And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?'

35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart." 

I and the Father are One...

John 10:24-30 
24 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly." 
25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, 
26 but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock. 
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 
28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 
29 My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 
30 I and the Father are one."

Thanks Pastor!  
Holy God, may we ever be mindful of our wicked tongue. Help us to keep our eyes on You. May we only speak Your truth out of love and receive the truth of chastisement with a glad repentant heart. Teach us to stand for Your ways and to teach others Your commands. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment