Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sovereign God Uses Evil Spirits for His Purpose

1 Sam.16:14-23 Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and a harmful spirit from the LORD tormented him.  And Saul's servants said to him, "Behold now, a harmful spirit from God is tormenting you.  Let our lord now command your servants who are before you to seek out a man who is skillful in playing the lyre, and when the harmful spirit from God is upon you, he will play it, and you will be well." So Saul said to his servants, "Provide for me a man who can play well and bring him to me." One of the young men answered, "Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence, and the LORD is with him."  Therefore Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, "Send me David your son, who is with the sheep." And Jesse took a donkey laden with bread and a skin of wine and a young goat and sent them by David his son to Saul. And David came to Saul and entered his service. And Saul loved him greatly, and he became his armor-bearer. And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, "Let David remain in my service, for he has found favor in my sight." And whenever the harmful spirit from God was upon Saul, David took the lyre and played it with his hand. So Saul was refreshed and was well, and the harmful spirit departed from him.
Wow, as many times as I have read this bible truth, I have never really grasped this verse about God allowing a harmful spirit to torment King Saul. I mean, I knew he was tormented but I did not catch the God allowing part! I had to read verse fourteen, three times!!
It is true, God gives you deeper meanings on the same verse at different times.
As Saul began to loose his throne, God was already preparing David to be the next king. Sovereign God allowed Saul to be tormented as He empowered David for His purpose.
I know from reading the book of Job that God allows the devil to attack for His purpose.
Occasions where God turned people over to demons or the devil for judgment:
Acts 5:1-3 But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, and with his wife's knowledge he kept back for himself some of the proceeds and brought only a part of it and laid it at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land?
1 Cor.5:1-7  It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you. For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.
1 Tim.1:18-20 This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.
God also uses demons and the devil to strengthen the saints:
Job 1:1-2 There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job, and that man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil. There were born to him seven sons and three daughters.
Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.
Matt.4:1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
Luke 22:31-32 "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you,that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."
2 Cor.12:7-10 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations,a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.  But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
The Lord God, had entrusted all judgment to His Son, Jesus. Let the power of Christ rest on you. Ask for His mercy and forgiveness for Christ is our salvation. He intercedes for us if we acknowledge Him before men.
Lord, we know without a doubt that we deserve hell but by Your Grace we have been set free from the sin and hell. Only by Your power, by Your death , and by Your Resurrection. Amen 
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment