Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bondage

What is bondage? State of being bound, servitude, slavery
I think many of us are appalled at the very mention of this word! Not being free is a horrible thing. Most often we think of bondage as being held against our will, by another, but it is sometimes a lot more subtle. We are under the bondage of sin and do not even give it a second thought. When we are addicted to alcohol or drugs, we are under bondage. When we have to keep buying things we don't need, we are under bondage and have bought into the lie that material things make you happy.
1 Tim.6:7 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.
Slave to sin:
John 8:34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.
2 Peter 2:19 They promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved.
Now I will comment on the act of bondage against another, also known as slavery. Slavery is in the bible from a very early time. One of the most notable stories of bondage is the Israelites and Pharaoh and how God raised up Moses to lead the Israelites out of bondage to the promised land.
Ex.3:10-14  Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt." But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?" He said, "But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain." Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
Many times Moses asked Pharaoh to let God's people go but God hardened his heart. God sent ten plagues to Egypt to show His power to the Israelites and the Egyptians.
Ex.10:3 So Moses and Aaron went in to Pharaoh and said to him, "Thus says the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, 'How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? Let my people go, that they may serve me.
Finally, after the death of all the firstborn, human and animal, Pharaoh let God's people go!
Ex.12:30-32 And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he and all his servants and all the Egyptians. And there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was not a house where someone was not dead. Then he summoned Moses and Aaron by night and said, "Up, go out from among my people, both you and the people of Israel; and go, serve the LORD, as you have said. Take your flocks and your herds, as you have said, and be gone, and bless me also!"
Bondage of the world:
Eph.6:5-9 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free. Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him.
Eph.6:10-12 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his mightPut on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
There is freedom in Christ!
Gal.5:1 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
Satan wants to keep your focus on things and not people. Christ wants you to love people in His name!
Lord, help us to keep Your Word in our hearts so that we may love the nations for You. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment